When talking about yoga, meditation, and alternative medicine, the term “Chakra” almost always come to mind. “Chakra” literally means “wheel” in Sanskrit.
According to Hindu and Buddhist beliefs, the human body consists of 7 main chakras, which correspond to spinning wheels of energy centers located along the spine. These chakras are associated with specific parts and organs, providing energy for balanced functioning, and therefore, providing a healthy body and mind.
There are basically two groups of chakras: 3 in the lower body, which govern our instinctual properties, and 4 in the upper body, which govern our higher mental and spiritual faculties.
- Think of the chakras as batteries that provide an endless stream of energy to our body.
- When one of them is blocked, which may be brought about by stress, emotional problems, or physical problems brought about by the environment, the flow of energy is impeded and physical or psychological problems arise.
- Therefore, it is vital that they stay open and aligned to achieve a healthy mind, body, and spirit.
The 7 Chakras of The Human Body
1. The Root Chakra
The corresponding colour of the Root Chakra is red, and it is located on the perineum, which is the base of your spine. It is the chakra closest to the earth, and concerned with physical survival and being grounded with the earth.
The body parts associated with this chakra include the legs, feet, adrenal glands, large intestine, and bones. When it is blocked, problems such as paranoia, fear, defensiveness, obesity, constipation, and lower backache occur.
2. The Sacral Chakra
The colour of this chakra is orange, and it is located 2 inches below your navel. It is concerned with pleasure, sexuality, relationships, procreation, and creativity.
The body parts associated with it include the lower abdomen, the bladder, the circulatory system, the kidneys, and the reproductive organs. Blockage can result to emotional problems, sexual guilt, compulsive behaviour, urinary tract infections, and reproductive organ complications.
3. The Solar Plexus Chakra
The colour of this chakra is yellow and it is located 3 inches above the navel. It is concerned with the ability to achieve, feelings of power, confidence, and is the seat of emotional life.
It is associated with the digestive system, the pancreas, and the muscles. Blockage can lead to anger, lack of direction, frustration, liver problems, diabetes, gallstones, nervousness, and stomach problems.
4. The Heart Chakra
This chakra is located in the heart, and its corresponding colour is green. It is concerned with peace, harmony, love, and compassion.
The chakra is associated with the lungs, the heart, the arms, and the thymus glands. Blockage can lead to immune system problems, lung and heart problems, lack of compassion, high blood pressure, and unprincipled behaviour.
5. The Throat Chakra
The colour of this chakra is blue or turquoise, and it is located in the throat. It is concerned with communication, self-expression, and judgment.
The body parts associated with the throat chakra include the thyroid glands, the neck, shoulder, arms, hands, and parathyroid glands.
When a blockage occurs, the consequences can include dishonesty, problems with communication, creative block, ear infections, metabolism problems, and thyroid issues.
6. The Third Eye Chakra
The Third Eye Chakra corresponds with the colour indigo, and its location is the center of the forehead, between the eyes or slightly above eye level. It is concerned with the spiritual nature of life, inner vision, intuition, and wisdom.
The body parts associated with this chakra include the eyes, and the temple area.
Blockage can result to headaches, eye problems, neurological problems, mental rigidity, lack of foresight, and depression (Light therapy lamp might make you happy).
7. The Crown Chakra
The colour corresponding to this chakra is violet, and it is located on the top of the head. It concerned with understanding, acceptance, and information.
The body parts associated with this chakra include the cerebral cortex, the pituitary gland, and the central nervous system. Blockage can result to psychological problems, migraines, mental issues, amnesia, coma, brain tumour, and skin disorders.
Chakra Healing and Opening Energy Centers
Yoga and meditation are the most commonly used methods to open up the flow of energy of the chakras. Meditating for at least 10-15 minutes a day is enough to bring balance and align the 7 chakras for a healthy well-being (Download Free Meditation).
Click Here and read a review of Muse: The Best Brain Sensing Headband Device.
The use of crystals and incense are both fantastic tools for deeper concentration. There are metaphysical properties of crystals that balance out energy levels in the body, and specific crystals respond well to specific chakras.
The use of aromatherapy can also further enhance the healing effects of chakra meditation.
Free eBook – The Chakra Checklist
Here’s a simple way to incorporate crystals and aromatherapy to meditation for balancing chakra system:
1. Create Time and Space
Set aside 10-15 minutes everyday and look for a space in your home or office where you are uninterrupted for the duration of your meditation session.
2. Prepare the Crystal/s and Incense
Light up an incense or aromatic candle, and hold the crystal/s in your hands.
3. Focus and Breathe
Sit cross-legged on the floor, also known as the lotus position, close your eyes, and bring your consciousness to your chakra centres. If you are currently having lower back pains, concentrate on your Root Chakra, think of the colour red, and imagine chakra balancing and opening up.
Stay in this position for 10 minutes, and focus on the different chakras for specific healing.
Related: What are the chakra stones?
Energy Healing with Crystals and Incense
Here are the specific crystals and aromas to use for opening up the chakras (Find a Crystal):
1. How to open The Root Chakra
- Hematite to bring balance and grounding
- Smoky Quartz to dissolve negativity and bring balance
- Black Obsidian, Black Tourmaline, Red Zincite, and Garnet
- The scents of Patchouli and Geranium
2. How to open The Sacral Chakra
- Carnelian to counteract feelings of apathy, rage, and fear
- Orange Calcite to improve energy
- Vanadinite, Blue-Green Turquoise, Blue Green Fluorite to bring the system into balance
- The scents of jasmine and sandalwood are aphrodisiacs, while the scents of orange and peppermint can help to focus on the specific chakra
3. How to open The Solar Plexus
- Citrine to reduce negative energy
- Yellow Jasper to bring awareness and insight
- Golden Calcite for increased energy
- The scents of chamomile, lemon, bergamot, and eucalyptus for improved concentration
4. How to open The Heart Chakra
- Rose Quartz to empower and attract love
- Green Aventurine for creativity and independence
- Pink Tourmaline for inspiration and understanding
- Jade for harmony and peace
- The scents of rose, ylang ylang, and lavender
Read more about Spiritual Essential Oils.
5. How to open The Throat Chakra
- Sodalite for truthfulness and logic
- Blue Turquoise for spiritual attunement
- Blue Kyanite for psychic awareness and communication
- The scents of chamomile, eucalyptus, and tea tree oil
6. How to open The Third Eye Chakra
- Lapis Lazuli for knowledge and creative expression
- Azurite for psychic ability awakening, insight and intuition
- The scents of juniper, pine, and rosemary
7. How to open The Crown Chakra
- Amethyst for calming energy, peace, and strength
- White Topaz for success, individuality, and creativity
- The scent of lavender and frankincense
Related: Best essential oils to heal chakras!
When any of the 7 Chakras are blocked, diseases and other problems can arise. The holistic chakra healing methods of meditation, aromatherapy, and the metaphysical properties of crystals can all help to bring back the continuous flow of energy to the chakras, giving you an overall healthy well-being to enjoy life to the fullest.